PARLIAMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF LESOTHO
NOTICE PAPER NO. 460
Thursday, 30th June, 2022
NOTICE OF RECOMMITTAL OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ELECTORAL (AMENDMENT) BILL, 2022.
Notice given on Thursday, 30th June, 2022.
Hon. Minister of Justice and Law –
That the National Assembly Electoral (Amendment) Bill, 2022 be recommitted in respect of Clauses 15 and 19.
- In Clause 15, delete the whole Clause and substitute with a new Clause 15 as follows:
“15. Section 105 of the principal law is repealed and substituted with the following section:
105. (1) A political party that has contested in the elections shall be entitled to be allocated a seat if it has obtained at least 0.4 percent of all the valid votes cast as indicated in schedule 3.
(2) A seat allocated in terms of section 104 shall be allocated to the best losers of a political party, in a sequential order, ranking from the leader of that political party, the candidate who has obtained the highest number of votes to the candidate who has obtained the lowest number of votes.
(3) Where a leader referred to in subsection (2) has obtained a constituency seat, the allocation of seat shall be in such a manner ranking from the candidate who obtained the highest number of votes.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), in the event that the names of either gender have been exhausted, the best loser approach shall be applied regardless of the gender.
(5) In the event that more than two candidates of a political party have obtained an equal number of votes, the candidate who has obtained the higher percentage of votes in their respective constituencies, shall be allocated a seat.
(2) In Clause 19, line 1, delete the references “10” and “14” and substitute with “11” and “17” respectively.